Mobilus in India

Blog of month long trip to India - Dec/Jan 06/07

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Made it to Mysore

INTENSE, INTENSE...much more so than Hampi or Bangalore. It is hot and persistant street vendors and beggers and autorickshaw drivers....hey learned a new word Mom...remember when kids come home saying this...well by not purchasing a flute from a street vendor got me a new word "lesson" in Hindi...Susie understood alas...Susie took care of me , and flashed the international symbol of...well...a bird or sorts...ha...life in India... Hotel is great - an oasis - tried to go to Mysore Palace but closed until 4:30 so hanging here until the palace open - no camera for me...gulp...ha...and no shoes...always interesting... We took the train here ...from Platform 9 3/4 Coco (Ha!) Saw bricks being made on the road side, Molly saw water birds for you, wished I could have taken a picture. When we slowed in a station, two boys pointed at me in the window, you could tell they were going "Oh my goodness - a white woman" so I started to giggle and wave, they all waved like mad...we saw many people washing in the rivers we passed, then beautiful fabrics spread on the grass to dry. We passed much farm land, hay was being harvested. We took executive class on the train, it was $12 but it meant we had a 2.5 hour cool relaxing trip. Thought of you Brenda doing this to Montreal every week - there was even a plug for my mp3 player. Got a dupatta in Bangalore, a long, light scarf in red...it is because the Indian men, being typically a couple of inches shorter than 5'10" are stumbling straight in to my breasts and well...they are passing out...ha...just kidding J-dog...no they are staring and well, after a while being a Bollywood movie star with my camera, a girl just needs some privacy - so floating the gauzy scarf is a good distraction technique...I crack myself up...Susie is jealous because all the men are staring at me...but when I put my camera away...they stare at us both...we have found the techno attraction...Hey I may have forgotten to mention that I learned how to drive an Autorickshaw...would not do it in Bangalore but was fun to do in Hampi...Susie wants to buy two next year and have Jacquie, Coco, Marco, Hannah and Gary come too, and travel thru India! Off to see the Palace - hugs - KB

2 Comments:

Blogger lime said...

wow, you guys are really having a whilrwind tour! and karen you are a posting fiend! interesting to get the two perspectives. glad you have this going. thanks for staopping by my place too. i'll be checking in to keep track of you and susie!

4:23 AM  
Blogger Logophile said...

I am so LOVING this!
Good commentary on the trip and the pics are fab.
Quite the day it sounds like!

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home